Colorism: A powerful collection of racist policies that lead to inequities between Light people and Dark people, supported by racist ideas about Light and Dark people.
Color Antiracism: A powerful collection of antiracist policies that lead to equity between Light people and Dark people, supported by antiracist ideas about Light and Dark people.
Food for Thought
- Colorism is judging people on the shade of their skin.
- Colorism, even when reversed, is still racist.
- Both white people and dark skinned people try to alter their skin color to reach a beauty ideal that is ever-changing.
Break out group questions:
What were the key points for you from this chapter?
The difference between light and dark black people can be as wide as those between white and black people.
When have you noticed this in your life and in your experiences?
Discuss the knowledge retention test questions.
Knowledge Retention Test Chapter 9 Color True/ False
- Assimilation is antiracist.
- Racists treat light and dark black people the same.
- Racist policy allows us to internalize hypocritical views.
- Dating preferences based on skin color is racist.
- An antiracist must reject racialized beauty standards.